Friday, February 5, 2010

Finding the perfect image optimizer

To create a great system, I'll first need to do a research about what image optimizers should I use for PNGs, JPEGs and GIFs.

First the PNGs. I've found a chart about PNG compression tools, but I don't know when and with what versions of tools did Oleg Kikin do that. So I'll have to repeat his test with the same images. What I've found quite interesting, that it looks like the best tool is the Windows based PNGOut. I'll not able to use that in my project, since it'll have to work on linux, but there is a hope, because there is a linux port of PNGOut by Jonathon Fowler. I'll include it in my test too beside the Windows version. The other competitir is AdvanceCOMP, what was the second best tool in that chart and it has a linux version.

For JPEGs, I'll try JpegOptim and JpegTran. Do you know others?

So what about the GIFs? Well, I'm pretty sure about I'll not use animated GIFs in any of my projects and for 8bit images I'll create GIFs by default using Photoshop, and my system will look after that if the PNG8 version is smaller or not. So currently I don't need to find a GIF optimizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment